Better Process Control School (online)
The online Better Process Control School (BPCS), offered by The Ohio State University's Wilbur A. Gould Food Industries Center, is required by FDA and USDA-FSIS for processors of low-acid and acidified foods. These processors must operate with a certified individual on-site at all times during processing. Upon successful completion of this four-day certificate course, supervisors of thermal processing systems, acidified food operations, and container closure evaluation programs will be qualified to meet U.S. regulatory requirements. Additionally, BPCS is an excellent food safety training for processing and quality assurance supervisors, academics, auditors and inspectors working with low-acid and acidified foods.
- FDA Regulations
- Microbiology of Thermally Processed Foods
- Principles of Acidified Foods
- Principles of Thermal Processing
- Principles of Food Plant Sanitation
- Food Container Handling
- Records and Recordkeeping
- Equipment, Instrumentation, and Operation for Thermal Processing Systems
- Still Steam Retorts
- Still Retorts: Processing with Overpressure
- Hydrostatic Retorts
- Continuous Rotary Retorts
- Batch Agitating Retorts
- Aseptic Processing and Packaging Systems
- Closures for Double Seamed Metal and Plastic Containers
- Closures for Glass Containers
- Flexible and Semirigid Containers
Participants are required to attend sessions and complete a standardized exam on each topic. A passing score of 70% or higher is required. Upon the successful completion of the course, participants become certified and their names are submitted to the FDA. All attendees with passing scores will receive a certificate from The Wilbur A. Gould Food Industries Center.
The cost to attend is $750 per person by the registration deadline of February 28, 2021. This fee covers live instruction, manual, and certificate. After the deadline, the registration cost is $800.
Class sessions will be held via Zoom.
Registration - www.go.osu.edu/bpcsregistration
Baseline technical skills necessary for online courses
- Basic computer and web-browsing skills
- Navigating Zoom
Minimum System Requirements
- Mac (OSX 10.11+) or PC (Windows 7+) with high-speed internet connection
- Processor: 2 GHz
- Free Disk Space: 250 MB
- Free RAM: 2 Gb
- Resolution: 1024x768
- Dowload Speed: 2.0 Mbps
- Upload Speed: 0.1 Mbps
- Speakers or headphones and a headphone jack in order to access audio
- Webcam: built-in or external webcam
- Microphone: built-in or external microphone
- Google Chrome
- Proctorio Chrome Extension
Cancellations must be received by February 22 to receive a partial refund. There is a $150 cancellation fee if the book has been shipped. There is a $50 cancellation fee if the book has not been shipped. No refunds will be given for cancellations after February 22 or for no-shows.
In the event of a low attendee registration, the Food Industries Center will reschedule or cancel the course. If a course cancellation occurs, a refund will be given in the amount of the registration fee.
Substitutions are allowed, but please notify us as soon as possible so we can update our list and contact the new attendee. Also, if the book has already been mailed to the original attendee, that person will need to provide it to the new attendee.