Better Process Control School
The Better Process Control School (BPCS) of The Ohio State University Food Industries Center is an FDA, USDA, and FSIS required course for processors of low-acid or acidified foods. BPCS satisfies the training requirements specified in both the FDA and USDA regulations designed to prevent public health problems in low-acid and acidified low-acid canned foods. All processors of these food products must operate with a certified supervisor on hand at all times during processing. Upon completion, the four-day course certifies supervisors of thermal processing systems, acidification, and container closure evaluation programs for low-acid and acidified canned foods. Additionally, BPCS is an excellent food safety training for processing and quality assurance supervisors, academia personnel working with canned and flexible packed food products, government auditors and inspectors.
- FDA Regulations
- Microbiology of Thermally Processed Foods
- Principles of Acidified Foods
- Principles of Thermal Processing
- Principles of Food Plant Sanitation
- Food Container Handling
- Records and Recordkeeping
- Equipment, Instrumentation, and Operation for Thermal Processing Systems
- Still Steam Retorts
- Still Retorts: Processing with Overpressure
- Hydrostatic Retorts
- Continuous Rotary Retorts
- Batch Agitating Retorts
- Aseptic Processing and Packaging Systems
- Closures for Double Seamed Metal and Plastic Containers
- Closures for Glass Containers
- Flexible and Semirigid Containers
Participants are required to attend sessions and complete a standardized exam on each topic. A passing score of 70% or higher is required. Upon the successful completion of the course, participants become certified and their names are submitted to the FDA. All attendees with passing scores will receive a certificate from the Gould Food Industries Center.
For more information and registration, please visit our Events page.
The Wilbur A. Gould Food Industries Center offers customized sessions of the Better Process Control School for companies at their location. A minimum of 15 attendees is required for on-site presentations. To discusse this option, please contact Heather Dean at email@example.com or (614) 292-7004.